Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog appears to be dry heaving and then hacking after a

Customer Question

My dog appears to be dry heaving and then
hacking after a while. It's like he keeps swallowing hard and licking and like he want to spit up in his mouth. He seems to be licking his nose and a curtain nearby. He just relieved a small bit of gas. But that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Can you open his mouth and look under his tongue, teeth, gums, etc. to make sure there is nothing stuck?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is been going on for about 45 minutes. He is I have any pre-existing medical conditions as far as I know. It was just laying on the L sectional couch with me and my brother in the corner . I did spray on my legs some insight repellent the cutter insect for fillet with DEET in it dried on my legs and I lay down and he was at my feet. Because I was getting bit by possibly fleas. He is looking things right now. He did throw up soon. Quite a bit. After I give him some water to drink.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- What was in the vomit?

2- Is he still dry heaving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still heaving and hacking every now and then. I think some foam white and some red pieces from some food of his.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Is he like hacking/gagging?

2- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a dog park, kennel, etc. in the last week or so?