Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog was playing in rain puddles today. Now she has small

Customer Question

My dog was playing in rain puddles today. Now she has small bumps under her fur all over her body.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Brigit 1.5 yearsold
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brigit?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- The bumps came on quickly today, correct?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bumps just came on this afternoon. She was running through some puddles. There was a but of algae in the puddles.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A bit of algae in the water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
57 lbs. I gave her 50 mg of Benadryl.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No new or strange foods. There are some wild turkeys around where I walk her. She may have eaten some droppings.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, as you have suspected I believe your dog is having an allergic reaction, the bumps you are seeing are called urticaria which is in response to the reaction. Starting her on Benadryl was a great idea. Keep her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 75mg every 12 hours for 3-5 days. So, I would give another 25mg pill. The dose for dogs is 1-2mg/lbs every 12 hours. If she is not better by the morning I would have her checked by your family veterinarian, she may need additional medication. If at any point she is having trouble breathing I would have her checked by ER vet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter