Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My twelve year old female Pomeranian has kidney failure. I

Customer Question

My twelve year old female Pomeranian has kidney failure. I have been treating her at home and giving her subcutaneous fluids every day or two. Recently, it has become increasingly difficult to get the fluid to enter her body. Veneto is in place, but the fluids will not run out of the bag and into her body. Am I doing something wrong? Is it because she's too dehydrated? Is there some other way that I can give her fluids? She has stopped eating and is only drinking small amounts of water. I have been giving her medication and nutrition using a syringe or turkey baster, but she has become more resistant in the past day or so. I just want to be able to make her as comfortable as possible. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What medications is she on?

Is her appetite declining?

Do you mean you are putting the needle straight into the skin?

What gauge or color (on the hub) is the needle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for responding. Since I didn't receive a response for so long, I just did some research and resolved the problem myself. Thanks anyway.