Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog (an 8 y.o Brittany) has been acting off all day. He

Customer Question

My dog (an 8 y.o Brittany) has been acting off all day. He fell off the bed the morning, but was able to jump back up. He didn't eat his food right away, but eventually did. A few hours later he threw up all his food. He has been very lethargic and not himself the rest of the day. Is this something I should give another day or get checked out right away?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to learn Peli is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3-Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. No
2. No, in fact I believe she might have constipated.
3. No
4. No, he doesn't show any signs of pain when we touch him.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- So basically he is just lethargic and vomited the food, correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh and he feels warm.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gyms are pink. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer, so I can't tell temp for sure.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Unfortunately, on history only it will not be possible to determine the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. But, common possible causes could be anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would strongly recommend not waiting any longer and have your dog examined by a veterinarian. You see, there are medical conditions that if caught early carry a better prognosis and less expensive to treat. For this reason, it is best to not wait. There is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter