Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The dog belongs to my grandmother. He is 12 years old and

Customer Question

The dog belongs to my grandmother. He is 12 years old and has heartworms. Bad cough, early signs of gaining - but he is currently paralyzed in his back end. She says he is in alot of pain and she wants to put him out of his misery but it is Saturday and she has no vet. I am trying to find something to give the dog to make him sleepy until Monday when I can go get the dog and take him to my vet. I also thought about treating him for the heartworms using tetracycline and aspirin for 2 weeks and then double dosing ivermection for 3 days but we still need to do something to help him sleep and stay sedated. I have trazadone. They have flexeril which I know is toxic. Can they give a big dose of Benadryl?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: The dog has only eaten his dinner which is dry kibble. They gave him 800mg ibuprofen but does not seem to help. He has not been poisoned I do not believe. I think it is the heartworms causing the paralysis?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We can get drugs from tractor supply tomorrow; tonight all we have is Benadryl, ibuprofen, gabapentin,, maybe some tramadol, trazadone and some clonazepam
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of dog is this companion?
2) How old?
3) How much does he weigh?
4) When was he diagnosed with heartworms?
5) Your post earlier said he was showing signs of "gaining", can you elaborate?