Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Nacho is 3 year old chihuahua he seems very tired and not

Customer Question

Nacho is 3 year old chihuahua he seems very tired and not eating. What can I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Nacho. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nacho?
Customer: Not really. My kids took nacho to a vet but I can't really spend $879.85 for a IV diagnosis X-ray & blood wok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Nacho had any recent injury?
2) Any changes in his diet? new food? new treat? human food?
3) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
4) Any history of illness or injury?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No injuries,same lovely treat, no human food,no vomiting, no diarrhea,never been injured, he just stop eating. i see nacho lost weight and just been drinking water

Without any diagnostics, we're going to be hard-pressed to know precisely what has caused him to go off of his food. For obvious reasons, we can assume it may be due to a GI upset. In trying to treat at home, we should start there to see if we can get him back to eating. It this, it often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

If this fails, I would recommend going to your vet with a budget and letting them know what has not worked. If $900 is out of the question, go with an amount in mind that you can pay and ask your vet to stay within those limits. Coupled with an exam, your vet may be able to determine what has caused the original symptoms and treat them without more expensive diagnostics.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Nacho today?