Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Blood in her urine, squatting and nothing coming out,

Customer Question

blood in her urine, squatting and nothing coming out, scooting on the floor. I'm pretty sure she has a UTI but it's saturday and vet is not open. what can I do to help her until then
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: daisy - 3 1/2 pug - 13 lbs.
JA: How old is daisy?
Customer: 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about daisy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

It certainly sounds as if Daisy may have a urinary tract infection (UTI) based on the description of her symptoms.

Without a urinalysis, we can't know for sure that she does but as you probably already know, these conditions are typically treated with systemic antibiotics which would have to be dispensed by your vet. Unfortunately, there are no over the counter drugs that will treat them.

However, cranberry products such as Craninidin may be of help until you can have her seen. My experience with such products is that they work best to prevent recurrent problems but they can occasionally help improve the situation once an infection has already developed. Your local pet or grain store may carry them.

Encouraging increased water intake is also advised which may help to flush out the bladder.

It is important to treat these infections since the bacteria present in the bladder can potentially travel to the kidneys and cause significant damage to these organs; therefore, I know you'll have her seen as soon as your vet is open.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Daisy. How are things going with her? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb