Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We think our dog has been poisoned. vet checked him out and

Customer Question

we think our dog has been poisoned. vet checked him out and took bloods and said " his organs are fine"!! i asked for a tox xcreen but she said they dont do that? he has neuroloigcal symptoms and seems to have los this sense of smell. he has no congnitive impairment and is eating drinking and pooing but after he drinks water he starts to shake and seems to loose his balance plus doesnt know where he is his spatial preception seems to have gone too
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Mohawk. How long has this shaking and seeming to loose balance been going on? How long ago did your vet last check him over?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
we noticed he seemed to be unaware of his surroundings last friday, the first symptom we noticed was he kept putting his head high and just a little off . vet checked him thursday

On the veterinary side, there aren't really any good "toxicology" screens to run like you'd see on the human side where they are evaluating urine, blood, etc.. for a wide range of medications / drugs / etc.. Is he scratching at his ears? Does he seem sensitive to them? When he walks does he do that fairly normally? Is he still playing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sense of smell gone still walking normally and playing but can't find the ball now when we throw it unless its infant of him. major symptoms re drooling and staring into space. just walking round now looking like he wants to vomit.

With what you're describing, I'm going to say that a toxicity / poisoning just doesn't seem to fit anything that I've come across in my career. So in saying that, a poisoning seems to be pretty unlikely. Could he have a visual issue? Could he have some retinal issue? Could there be an underlying neurologic issue? It is good that he's eating and drinking well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it all appears neurological so thought wed get a scan on monday

Are you talking about a CT / MRI scan? For those non-specific neurological cases, that may be a diagnostic step that provides some critical information.