Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Appears to be SARDS, went blind overnight. Have seen Canine

Customer Question

Appears to be SARDS, went blind overnight. Have seen Canine eye specialist. Her retinas appear fine. Next is visit to University of Missouri Vet school for further tests. Curious what we can expect? Thanks, ***** *****
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Loss of appetite and fever 3 days before and was placed on an antibiotic.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Caliber, pure breed German Shepherd. 20 Months old.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sad to hear Caliber may have SARDS. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this condition. We are not sure of the cause of the condition either, despite decades of research. What is odd is her age. This is usually a condition with an average onset at 8 years of age, not 1.5 yrs. This may be retinal degeneration due to something else. Still, I cannot be very optimistic as most true causes of retinal changes/problems are not treatable. Her best chance, though is to see the specialist.

Most commonly dogs with true SARDS often have preceding or concurrent symptoms, such as increased drinking and urinating, increased appetite, excessive panting, lethargy, obesity or recent weight gain. Sometimes we find elevated liver enzymes on lab work which leads to a concern she might've had hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's Syndrome). Usually testing is negative but I have actually had a few patients test positive upon screening for Cushing's who had SARDS but these patients did not do well at all on the treatment for Cushing's because this is not Cushing's syndrome.

For expectations the ophthalmologist will examine her eyes and sometimes months after onset of SARDS the ophthalmologist can see retinal degenerative changes which confirm the condition.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey