PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We got a miniature dachshund 5 days ago and her ears were

Customer Question

We got a miniature dachshund 5 days ago and her ears were floppy and the last three days they are standing straight up. Is there a problem will her ears be floppy again? Is this just a stage for her?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you attach a few pictures of her ears in their normal position now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you had a chance to review

Were you able to see my question above?

If you attached pictures, they did not come through. You may need to try again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get them?This is now. Her ears were laying down when we first got her. I attached pictures
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get the pics

Are they up full-time at this point of both up and down?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mostly up

With teething we can see the ears go up and down but with her being so young I would come to terms with the fact that her ears are very possibly going to stay in the erect position. It can take many months for ears to being to stand but we typically see some variation of the position when dogs are teething. Once they reach about 6 months of age, the position of the ear is typically permanent and more predictable.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you ever heard of a dachshund with ears that stand up?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
why so sudden in the change?

Absolutely, although the most common dogs we see with erect ears are mixed breeds. An example would be a chihuahua x dachshund mix.

Probably teething. At this age, her puppy teeth are now fully in and for the next few months she will be developing her adult teeth before they come in.

Checking in, Laurie. Did you have other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think she is a mixed breed? I just thought it was strange that the laid down one and stood up thhe next.

She looks like a chihuahua x dachshund mix to me. If she were purebred dachshund, she should have heavier ears that fall lower on her head. Like this: http://www.localpuppybreeders.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Dachshund/shutterstock_106003460.jpg

I think it's very likely given her age and how they're standing that she is going to look like this as an adult: http://www.localpuppybreeders.com/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Chiweenie/shutterstock_169196153.jpg

.