How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 17837
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Puppy ate mouse poison pellets (really old). Ingredients

Customer Question

Puppy ate mouse poison pellets (really old). Ingredients look like brodifacoum et al. Ate it between 12:00 am and 8:00 am. Vet wants $300+ and I'm not sure I can afford that...any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Nash. Did the vet say what the $300 was going to cover? In the ideal world, this little guy is made to vomit if the ingestion was in the last 2 hours as that will bring up a decent amount of the poison. Then they can give activated charcoal to absorb more of the poison. Then they can start the antidote for this which is vitamin K1. This is the gold standard for this type of poison. IT is the most expensive. If he ate a toxic dose of the poison, he will start to bleed internally most likely in a couple days and he will die from it. I would try to get the funds for them to start up the therapy for this. The one side note is that if the ingestion is longer than 2 hours ago, inducing vomiting and doing the charcoal most likely won't decontaminate further. IN those cases just starting the Vitamin K1 orally is going to be the treatment. The simplest and very much effective thing in those cases is to just start the vitamin K1 for 28 days. It is the antidote! Please get him in for them to work with you with what funds you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The good thing I tell owners about this poisoning is that there is an antidote and they typically do well if the therapy is started in a prompt time manner. Here is a great link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1765