Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have an austrlian bulldog he is 6 month old and one of

Customer Question

We have an austrlian bulldog he is 6 month old and one of his eyes has gone strange. Very red and inside skin closed around it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has his eye been like this?

Is the tissues around the eye just red/inflamed or is the eyeball?

Any haze or clouding on the eyeball? Does it look larger itself?

Any chance of trauma or scratch to the eye?

Can you take a photo of this as it will let me see what you are seeing? To post online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems to have fixer itself now ... It was like the ki
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's like the lining on the outside of the eye ball covers I t
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried sending a photo ... My phone screen is cracked - sorry about the mistakes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

No worries,

They have posted and I am downloading them to have a peek just now. :)

I will post my thoughts in full shortly,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, the eyeball looks fine and that is our most important part of the eye when it comes to health issues. Now in the first photo his conjunctiva (the pink tissue) does look a bit inflamed and almost looks like a cherry eye (which is when the cartilage in the 3rd eyelid inverts and causes a bubble like appearance). This can be something that comes and goes in this breed, or we can see others that get stuck this way (which tends to need surgery to fix). So, if it has popped back down, we can breathe a sigh of relief, flush the eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution) to remove any irritants and monitor. Of course, if it relapses, then we'd want a check for Rubble's vet to start anti-inflammatories to reduce that mild inflammation and see if we can get it settled again. Of course, if it were to get stuck then again surgery (not emergency though) would be indicated but if it has layed flat again we can just keep an eye at this stage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rubble. How is everything going?

Dr. B.