Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My dog just has surgery to remove toilet paper roll pieces

Customer Question

My dog just has surgery to remove toilet paper roll pieces from her intestine and she finally came home and she's in a lot of pain. She was very dehydrated so they send her home with the iv still in her front leg and she keeps chewing and licking it. I was just wondering what I can do to make her more comfortable and to make her stop chewing her iv, thanks!!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog's recent troubles. She needs to wear an e. collar to prevent her from chewing out her IV catheter as well as to prevent her from licking at her incision and causing it to become infected or to prevent healing. As far as her discomfort, your vet should have sent her home with pain medication. The combination I use more often for post operative GI surgery is gabapentin and tramadol. Was she sent home with any pain medications? If not, is there an emergency vet in your area that you can take her to and get a prescription of these medications?

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 month ago.
Hi Haley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie