Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a maltese that all of a sudden has been chewing and

Customer Question

i have a maltese that all of a sudden has been chewing and turning the areas pink
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: chewie and he is 8 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Can it be ALLERGIES or diet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear that Chewie is having this issue. Where is he chewing the most?

I will give you a list of things to help with allergies but if there is any discharge, oozing, or no improvement with the recommendations then please consider a veterinary exam to control symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the most itchy areas then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. A dose of 750 mg EPA & DHA daily and will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman