How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19120
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20lb dog ate about 3oz of dark chocolate but it had about

Customer Question

Hi. My 20lb dog ate about 3oz of dark chocolate but it had about 1/3 whole hazelnuts in it. It was 4 hours ago. He is currently very hyper, which isn't terribly unusual for him, but I was say he's more hyper than usual. I would like to avoid a trip to the vet, would you say this is something I should go to the vet for? I haven't seen him throw up or have diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: George and he is almost 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?
Customer: Nothing I can think of. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again

Good news! George is not at any risk, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. Hazelnuts are not toxic to dogs, so no cause for concern there.

2. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested, severe signs occur when one ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. So if you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 20 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 6 ozs { More than one quarter pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

3. Given the above and the fact that your dog only ate 3 ozs there are no special measures you need take at present other than just keeping an eye on him, the chances are he will not show any symptoms of any sort but a few dogs might perhaps have a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, I would not expect anything worse than that. Another plus factor is that is adverse symptoms were going to occur then they normally start to do so after two hours, at four hours post ingestion he should be in the clear.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that George's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

5. Finally here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how George is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate and hazlenut incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions