Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My 7 month old beagle pit mix is about 45 lbs.. and we think

Customer Question

My 7 month old beagle pit mix is about 45 lbs.. and we think he just swallowed a viagra pill. I gave him 2 teaspoons of peroxide immediatly. He ate his dinner right before he swallowed the pill. He vomited twice but I did not see the pill. What should I do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type up my response to your question/concern.

Chances are he vomited up the pill along with the food, it was just mixed in with it. How many mg's was the Viagra pill?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
100 mg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont have my phone on me
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please, waiting for an answer. The dog looks fine so far. It has now been approx. an hour.

Ok great. Yes chances are he will be fine.

It is a medication that can be used in dogs, although there is limited information on its use in pets. But from what we know this is mainly a vasodilator and at most causes minor symptoms like dizziness, flushing, flushing and tachycardia (fast heartrate). The dose your pet got was only 2x the dose recommended, so chances of any life threatening symptoms are very low, especially since I believe he vomited it up anyway. Also its effects are usually gone within 6 hrs (half-life).

I don't recommend any further induction or vomiting and only to monitor him for now. Chances are he will be fine.

- Dr. H

Oh yes, disregard the phone call prompt. This is coming from justanswer website and not directly from me.

You took the right course of action by inducing vomiting just to be sure. However for future reference, unless your pet ingests a pill, always consult with a vet before inducing vomiting. In some cases the induction of vomiting is contraindicated (ingestion of metals, corrosive matter, etc).

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning Mookie?

- Dr. H

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you for your feedback and have a good rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H

Please leave a rating as I am not compensated for assisting you with your answer until a rating is provided. Thank you.

- Dr. H