Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My little 10 week old puppy a dachshund has small bumps on

Customer Question

My little 10 week old puppy a dachshund has small bumps on her head- first started with 1-2 now she has 6-8. They don't seem to hurt her.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet puppy has small bumps on her head that are spreading a bit. Poor girl. It is good that they are not causing her any irritation however. Puppys can get mild irritations to their skin because their immune system is still developing.

Are they small reddish bumps or do they have what appears to be a yellowish bubbly center?
You can also post a picture here in the chat for me to view the area thoroughly.

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They look like just bumps no redness or yellow bubbly center. You can see her skin on top of them. I can send a pic.

Ok great! Its likely a mild skin reaction.

You can give Benadryl at 1mg per lb every 12 hrs for 3-7 days to help resolve this. It is good that it isn't yellow because that would mean the skin is infected and in need of antibiotics. Monitor the skin for the next few days and if the Benadryl doesn't seem to calm things down then a vet visit is needed for stronger medications (i.e. immune modulator drugs or a short course of steroids).

You can also give puppy a nice gentle puppy bath (oatmeal based shampoo) to help soothe the area if it seems irritated at any point.

- Dr. H

* If you have no further questions or concerns, then please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much for your feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day*

Best regards,

Dr. H