Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

He has diarrhea and vomiting for 2 days now, He had new food

Customer Question

He has diarrhea and vomiting for 2 days now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had new food about 2 days ago and we put a flea collar also , he has his regular food now and the collar is off but he still is a happy dog.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tonka
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tonka?
Customer: Not that I can think of , he's fine when we are home but when we come back from work it's when he has diarrhea or vomit in his kennel.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet Tonka was recently given a new food and also had a flea collar placed 2 days ago, and now he has vomiting and diarrhea. Poor guy. It is a good sign that he is still happy, alert and active however. We can try a few things to see if we can get his sensitive stomach back to normal, because it sounds like he has a bit of gastroenteritis due to a sudden food change.

So with pets that have a sensitive stomach, here is the common at home things to try first:

1) Bland diet- boiled plain chicken and rice or cottage cheese can be given for 3-4 days, then slowly transition him back to his normal diet. Give the same, or a little less, portions than his normal food amount.

2) Famotidine (pepcid ac)- this helps with nausea somewhat. You can give 0.5-1mg/kg every 12 hrs (1kg=2.2lbs). If you need help calculating your pets amount, please let me know his weight.

What is the name of the flea collar that was placed on him?

- Dr. H

- Dr. H

I see you had a chance to review my reply. Did you have any further questions or concerns for me at this time?

*Please don't forget to leave me a rating for my service today. Thank you so much for your feedback*

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet