Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My puppy has something wrong with his paw... Tucker. We

Customer Question

hi, my puppy has something wrong with his paw...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Tucker. We brought him home last weekend. He's almost 10 weeks old. i have a picture....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: No. he seems to be adjusting great and his paw doesn't seem to be bothering him - but it looks strange and my husband thinks it looks worse than it did last wekend.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Tucker is having this problem.

What is wrong with his paw? is there an open wound? is there a cut? is he putting any weight on it?

I see you stated you have a picture, can you post it for me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here is a picture
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I see. There is quite a bit of damage to the skin, with quite a bit of hair loss as well. My biggest concern with a young pup this age would be mange. Demodectic mange is common in young puppies and causes hair loss and damage to the skin. There is typically no itchiness associated with demodex. This can be easily treated with oral flea/tick medications such as Simparica or Nexgard, both of which are available at most vets. Diagnosis of the cause of the current problem can be done with skin cytology and skin scrapes by your vet to ensure there is no other issue. If this is indeed demodex, you will find further areas of hair loss that pop up over the next weeks to months.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
does this mean i have to take him to the vet or can you prescribe over the phone?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately prescription medication can only be prescribed if the doctor has seen the pet. I can't give you a prescription. However, your vet should be able to give you a prescription for Nexgard as it is also used as a regular monthly flea/tick treatment, which is recommended anyway. I would just call your vet and let them know you want to switch to Nexgard as your dogs flea/tick prevention.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!