Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My dog developed a large knot on his hip very suddenly about

Customer Question

My dog developed a large knot on his hip very suddenly about the size of an egg. He doesn't seem to have any pain from it but it has been there for several weeks now. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to answer your question about Marilyn Irwin. The fact that the "knot" has been present for several weeks suggest that it is not the result of any trauma (i.e. inflammation) but that it is a tumor of some sort (i.e. benign or malignant). A visit to your vet is in order to have the area evaluated. Sometimes the vet can take a small needle and collect some cells from the site to learn if this is something that requires more attention (i.e. surgical removal). If a fine needle aspirate is not helpful in identifying the nature of the mass, then you will have the option of observing it to see if it changes in size or character (i.e. becomes bothersome to your dog) or being more aggressive and having the area surgically biopsied or completely removed to make sure this isn't cancer. Since Marilyn Irwin is an older Boston Terrier, I would aire on the side of caution and, if you can't discern the site is benign with fine needle aspiration, then I would recommend a biopsy of the tissue under anesthesia at a minimum. Boston's seem prone to cancer more than some other breeds: especially mast cell tumors.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had 2 other knots removed in the past 5 years and both were not cancer. Does that indicate to you this one is the same?

No, unfortunately each growth must be evaluated on an individual basis. They are very often different types of tumors and can require very different treatment approaches.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you very much

You're welcome. Best of luck to Marilyn Irwin: I hope this growth is benign too!

Hi Marilyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marilyn Irwin. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing