Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 year old lab will no longer go outside. He isn't eating

Customer Question

My 9 year old lab will no longer go outside. He isn't eating much. This morning we woke up to him laying in a puddle of very dark urine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 7 months ago.

Hi, this is Ron. I am a licensed vet with 33 yrs experience. This sounds serious to me, and I think you should bring him in to the vet if you haven't already. I could only guess at the causes for this, and I can think of lots of possibilities. The dark urine and extreme weakness and his age make me suspicious of a bleeding splenic tumor, but lots of other things could cause this.

He should be seen asap.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does this happen all of a sudden literally 2 days ago he was fine

The splenic tumor is sudden. It grows to a certain size with no symptoms, then ruptures and bleeds into the abdominal cavity causing a profound anemia and weakness. They can become very weak in a matter of hours.

But again, it may be something else. Some liver problems can cause weakness and dark urine.

Retrievers, both labs and goldens are more prone to these tumors, and it occurs in late middle age quite often.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My dog is fine... he is as stated getting older & his back legs do shake a bit... however he is managing to get around & is back to his normal self