Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Can I give my cat Tylenol or ibuprophin, she is in pain cant

Customer Question

can I give my cat Tylenol or ibuprophin
JA: I'm sorry that Tylenol is feeling poorly. What seems to be the problem with Tylenol?
Customer: she is in pain cant see the vet until monday
JA: How old is Tylenol?
Customer: 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tylenol?
Customer: loss of appetite
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about your cat's situation. 100% no can you give any Tyelnol or ibuprofen to your cat. These are toxic to cats and can actually kill them. There are no safe over the counter pain medications that are out there for cats. If your cat is in pain, then she needs to be seen by your vet for them to evaluate her to determine the source and to then treat her based on that. I know you said that they can't see her until Monday, but can you call and get her in as an emergency. I would hope they, or another clinic (can you call another veterinary clinic to get in) can get you in. Loss of appetite could be due to many issues and I'll be honest and say that "pain" typically isn't the underlying cause. Could she have liver issues? Kidney issues? These are considerations. Thanks for asking about giving these meds rather than giving them and then asking if it was ok. I've had that happen numerous times over my career. Again, you 100% can't give them as that would definitely hurt her!