Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

Running around quickly like he is hyper, he is not eating

Customer Question

running around quickly like he is hyper
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: he is not eating very well, crying some. Wend to the groomer and had to remove a lot of hair around his bumb and lower tail as poop was stuck there. The area is red and he is licking it.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 2 1/2 or three years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?
Customer: We got him from the SPCA 1 1/2 yrs ago and he was rescued from bad breeder. He was in good health when we got him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that your little Gus is not feeling well. There are many reasons that a dog will stop eating. With what you noted, it is likely that Gus is very uncomfortable or in pain. It is important to make sure that he is able to poop normally after his grooming. You need to make sure that he does not have diarrhea or is having trouble eliminating to have caused the clumping in the first place. You may also want to check closely for any fleas or other causes of irritation around that area. Since I cannot see Gus, based on your description, he may also be irritated and uncomfortable, or may even have a skin infection in the area where the hair was shaved. It is important to keep him from licking at his bum. This can be achieved by placing a cone/e-collar on as it needs time to heal. You can try to place some A&D ointment in the area, but only if he cannot continue to lick it. You can also give him a little Benadryl (about 1 mg for each pound he weighs) if he seems very irritated to help calm him. You need to make sure that the Benadryl only contains dyphenhydramine and no other medication. If he does not start to eat better or seems painful, or if his bum seems very raw or has open sores, it would be best to have him evaluated at a vet clinic to see if he needs any pain medication, antibiotics, or to do any labwork to see if anything else is causing him to not eat. In the meantime, you can try to provide some boiled chicken breast and plain rice to get him eating and more comfortable. If he gets worse or if you are still concerned, please don't hesitate to have him evaluated by your local vet. I hope Gus starts to feel better soon!

Hope that helps,

Dr. Pearl

Hi, Just wanted to check in to see how Gus is doing. Hopefully he is feeling better!

Best,

Dr. Pearl