Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Last night I noticed my small Maltese's penis would not

Customer Question

Last night I noticed my small Maltese's penis would not retract. He is 9 years old, neutered, and have never even seen his penis before. I was able to use Vaseline and eliminate the erection very simply and fast. Tonight, same thing, tried the same treatment and no luck. i felt his penis looked dry, like it had been out for awhile. Can he wait for treatment hours from now from a veterinarian, or is this an emergency situation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Randi, you did right in using vaseline to retract his penis back into the prepuce. It sounds like the prepuce opening may be too small. This is an emergency. You see, right now the blood supply is being cut off to the penis so if you wait too long the penis may suffer irreversible damage and may need to be amputated. I would take him to the nearest ER veterinarian, do not wait. In the meantime, do not let him lick the penis. Apply vaseline or ky jelly to the penis to keep it moist, do not let it dry.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter