Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Rubbing alcohol splashed in his eye, milo 3 years old, we

Customer Question

rubbing alcohol splashed in his eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: milo 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about milo?
Customer: we put flushed his eye with artificial tears this morning he has it close and will not open it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now rubbing alcohol can be quite irritating for the eyes and can lead to corneal ulcers. So, what you have done so far sounds good but make sure you have flushed that eye for at least 15 minutes with cool water before using the artificial tears (though do avoid any eye drops that are listed for "getting the red out" since those shouldn't be used in our dogs). If he rubs the eye at all, then he'll need to wear an e-collar as well.

If you have done that (or repeat that now) and Milo is still holding it closed, then we'd need to have him seen by his vet to check for ulcers. If shallow, they can dispense a corneal healing gel to get this settled. If a deep ulcer is present, then we may need them to place a conjunctival graft to protect the eye, help it heal, and avoid it becoming compromised.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )