Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He ate 30 of my 0.005 mg of my thyroid pills! The dog is 3

Customer Question

He ate 30 of my 0.005 mg of my thyroid pills!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The dog is 3 month and 32.5 lbs
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roxy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Now I suspect it is levothyroxine you are using. If not, let me know. But for Levothyroxine, this is a medication that we use in veterinary medicine to treat dogs with hypothyroidism. Therefore, right off the bat we know this isn’t an outright poisoning for Roxy. As well, it is worth noting that this is a drug that is quite well tolerated in dogs. In fact, if he had 30x 0.005mg (0.15mg), this is just a 0.01mg/kg dose for him and a very low dose for him. So, we could see mild signs (agitation) but at this dose even that is unlikely.

Therefore, while I am happy to discuss treatments to block absorption, that isn’t necessary here. We can just monitor and plan to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settle but again we would expect no harm with that medication especially since the tablet doses are so tiny compared to what we give dogs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )