jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Not much she's being a typical headed labradoodle. She does

Customer Question

Not much she's being a typical bull headed labradoodle. She does have an insane love of bread. Got into a loaf this morning but we caught her before she got too far. I cannot understand her obsession with bread. She never counter surfs for meat or other people food. But the bread has to be high up, in a cupboard, possibly with locks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ***** *****ttle over three years old. She also killed a chicken. But that's poor training from us. We''re working that issue.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mandy?
Customer: Other than explaining how such an adorable dog (generally well behaved) can be so obsessed with bread. I mean seriously, bread.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh, if it's relevant, we had hip surgery done on her right hip due to early identified displasia. She seems ok. We'all have to build he wheels and ramps at some point but she's getting around ok. She gets around really well if bread is involved.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Bread isn't really bad for dogs but like humans it should not be a large part of a dog's diet. Dogs likely love bread for the same reasons we do. It should not be more than 10 percent of a dog's diet. I only give bread to my dogs as an occasional treat since it can lead to a dog gaining too much weight. There are some things that might help with the obsession. One is training. However, if there is nothing she likes more than bread, it may be difficult to train her not to surf for it. What you can do is make a tiny portion of bread be the treat for NOT taking the bread on her own. That will at least control how much bread she gets at any one time.

You will have bread in the wrapper on the counter or even a lower table. You will have your girl on a leash so she is under your control. If she moves toward the bread at all, give a short tug to get her attention and a firm low toned NO. After a few corrections, she should hesitate, when she does, you praise her and give her the treat. Usually we use a higher value treat like hot dog slivers since dogs seem to love those even more than bread. You could try those as well. They are better than other meats as they are smelly and tasty.

She will learn that leaving the bread alone gets her treats. Even with the training, I would continue keeping the bread in a bread box or out of her reach but it should at least help for those occasions when someone forgets to put the bread up. I have clients that keep it in the microwave and others keep it in the refrigerator.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.