Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

The other day we got home from work and my Great Dane was

Customer Question

The other day we got home from work and my Great Dane was limping notice her middle toe on her left paw was swollen and red on one side . Not sure why she wants to play eats drinks and bathroom regularly so should we be alarmed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Can't see any just one side is red and the whole toe is touchy
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bendy and she is 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bendy?
Customer: Nothing else wrong just that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she still limping?

2- Is she licking the toe?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No licking yes limping no pre existing conditions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, as you may already know the limping is secondary to the swelling of the toe. The big question is then: Why is the toe swollen? This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a soft tissue injury, a fracture, an insect sting, tumor, an infection, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the toe or she will make it worse. If she does lick pick an e-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking.

2- Soak the affected paw in warm water with epsom salt for 5 minutes 3-4 times a day.

3- Rest her; no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

4- If no significant improvement within 1-2 days after doing the above I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter