Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 8 week old min pin ate a small amount of chemlight and

Customer Question

Our 8 week old min pin ate a small amount of chemlight and from his vomit appears to have eaten a entire sloppy Joe sandwich and some Mac and cheese. He has vomited entirely too much for his size... he is whining/screaming and running in circles
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if sloppy Joe will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sloppy Joe?
Customer: He seems disoriented running in tight circles with his head cocked backwards. Stumbling everywhere
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure we are speaking of the same product, is the chemlight the same as glowsticks? Do you have the ingredients?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
same as a glowstick. Chemicals are not listed on package. The glowstick looks like he bit into it and only a very tiny amount of chemical missing from the glowstick. Maybe a teaspoon amount or less.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- How long has it been since he ate it?

2- Did he eat the mac & cheese and sandwich during this time?

3- Is he alert?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He had his head cocked backwards and placed on his right shoulder..whining does not seem alert...is making a screaming noise. He cannot stand right seems to just walk dizzy like to the right falling into everything. He seems to have lost bladder control. It's been 30 minutes since he ate sandwich and Mac and cheese
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same time as glowstick
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He vomited more than a cup of food total
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, I am so sorry that you are having this problem with your puppy. The symptoms that you are describing are consistent with neurological signs which could be caused by toxicity, infections, etc. I am not 100% sure if this is related to the chemlight. You see, most glowstick are non-toxic when ingested. However, they can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract causing symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, etc. So, I suspect either he got into something toxic or there is something else going on. As far as the sandwich and mac cheese, I would also expect gastrointestinal symptoms.

Unfortunately, in this case, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked tonight by ER veterinarian. There is really nothing I can recommend for you to try at home that is going to have a significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My daughter just informed me that when she took him outside to use restroom after eating glowstick, he fell over and rolled down our hill...which is pretty steep, is it possible he has injured his neck or spine causing these symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely, he could have a central nervous system injury. This further supports being seen by ER veterinarian, they will be able to start him on medication to help with inflammation.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter