Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a few porcupinequills on his lips what should I

Customer Question

My dog has a few porcupinequills on his lips what should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with PK. Can you take a picture and post it so I can see how he looks? Porcupine quills are barbed and are very difficult to try and remove. Most of the time, the best way to get them out is to sedate the patient to then manually remove them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok but let's I can't get him sedated?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

He moved at the wrong time and the picture is a bit blurry. I can see just one in that bot***** *****p. As far as sedating him at home, you're not going to really be able to do that. Could some gentle pressure on the quill get it to back out? A small tug can be tried. If it isn't budging, then the best thing to do would be to get him to your vet so they can give him some sedation to then pull more aggressively on it to get it out. Care must be taken to not break it off under the skin. If he's really bothered by the length of the quill, you could cut it shorter so its less likely to bump / catch on things until he is seen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so your saying it's a must that I bring him to the vet to have them remove them. Like they wouldn't fall out on their own? Is it dangerous to let it naturally come out?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

As far as "dangerous" for them to be in his skin, that shouldn't be the case. If you think about it, how many other creatures in the woods (bears, coyotes, etc..) get to close to porcupines and get their muzzles full of quills? A lot do and they don't typically have serious issues for the most part. They probably get broken off with time and fester under the skin and possibly eventually migrate out of the body. If the quills are lightly in the skin, some gentle traction may get them to pop out. Some owners may try to see what this results in. They should be taken out as they will most likely not just fall out, but break off and kind of fester under the skin for a longer period of time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok here's a better pic
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

The second picture didn't come trough. Can you post it again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It won't work any other way to send it?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm very sorry for my delay as I got pulled away by cases at work. That is so frustrating that the first attachment was able to be done and the next one couldn't.