Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I have been giving my son's dog Fluoxetine because she is

Customer Question

I have been giving my son's dog Fluoxetine because she is having bad anxiety and I had some for a dog of mine that had passed but my son's dog is about 50 pounds and I was giving her 20 mg but it doesn't seem to be enough so can I give her 40 mg but give her 20 in the morning and 20 at night can I do that
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Having anxiety attacks
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She is not hurting anywhere she just is having these anxiety attacks and trying to get out of the house so I gave her the medicine because I knew it would calm her down but just not sure how much to give her
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Meat ball
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Yes she possibly has heart worms not sure my son cannot afford to take her to the vet I'm just trying to make her life a little bit better
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Meatball's anxiety issues. A recommended dose for Fluoxetine for a dog her size would be 25 mg once to twice daily for 6-8 weeks to start treatment. After that, the dose is dropped down to a maintenance dose to be determined by each individual dog. Another recommended dosage rate is for a dog her size is 75 mg once daily, so giving her one 20 mg twice daily is fine.

Just watch her for adverse effects which most commonly include decreased appetite, especially at higher doses. It can also cause aggression at higher doses, so try to use the lowest dose possible for her needs. If she shows any of these symptoms, discontinue the drug and see a vet.

I hope this helps Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!