Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

Our dog, a large mix between golden retriever and Anatolian

Customer Question

Our dog, a large mix between golden retriever and Anatolian shepherd, has developed a large increase in bone above his left eye. We don't know what could cause this or whether this is a serious problem. He doesn't seem to mind the problem, and isn't sensitive if we touch the bone.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dog's name is ***** ***** he is 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Byron?
Customer: No, he is well behaved and energetic on walks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Please post a picture of his face to give a better picture of what is going on. From what you are describing, there are two possibilities. One is that the bone is more prominent because the muscles on top of the head have atrophied and the other is that the muscles are normal, but the increase in size is due to a mass. Byron does need a physical exam to help determine which is the primary issue. Please ask any follow up questions. If you can post a photo, that would be very helpful. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have just taken three close-up pictures of Byron's head. I uploaded them below. If you can see these let me know. The first one is a picture of his face head-on. You can see that there is a bump just above and behind the right eye (left eye on the picture) The nex two give you a close-up of the left and right sides of his face. The bump behind his eye on the third picture feels like hard bone that goes back under his ear. There no such bone on the other side of his face.