Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

14 year old schnauzer not pooping since I changed her diet

Customer Question

14 year old schnauzer not pooping since I changed her diet from hard food to boiled chicken and potatoes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rexi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rexi?
Customer: He eats very well. Drinking more water
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Rexi's troubles. A change in diet can cause some irregularity with the digestive system while they get used to it. Some things you can try at home would be to give him a couple TBSP of canned pumpkin with his meals. This adds a little extra fiber and can help with bowel movements. This is something you can give him for an extended period of time if he continues to have trouble.

You can also give him some mineral oil or vaseline to help lubricate. It would be about 1/4 cup of either one given 2-3 times a day until he has a bowel movement. It sometimes helps to go for a walk after giving the mineral oil or vaseline to help move things along.

If he hasn't had a bowel movement in 3-4 days, if he appears bloated or uncomfortable, or if he starts vomiting it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk