Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Is Nexgard safe for a dog w/seizures?

Customer Question

Is Nexgard safe for a dog w/seizures?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 1 month ago.

Hello, was very wise of you to check on the safety of a product with a patient that is prone to seizures. The label on the Nexgard states "use with caution" with regard to patients with seizure disorders, but it is not clear why. I see those words, however, and I am immediately concerned, especially when the reason is not offered.

My suggestion would be to administer a different oral flea/tick preventive that has longer efficacy (kills fleas and ticks for 3 months), more effective killing power with regard to ticks, and has no contra-indications with regard to patients prone to seizures: Bravecto.

Hello again, my window of time is almost up to address your reply in the chat. If you are satisfied my answer when you have the opportunity to view, please click the "Accept" button. If you have any further follow up questions, please feel free to post, as I will be checking my open questions throughout the day. Good luck and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Best regards,

Dr. Roger