Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Vomiting after starting anitbiotics, dog, No she was put on

Customer Question

vomiting after starting anitbiotics
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she was put on antibiotics Monday and seems to be vomited twice a day generally sometimes after taking the antibiotic
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maddie age 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddie?
Customer: she was put on the antibiotics due to eye infection and also severe diarrhea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to let you know that this isn't uncommon. Many of our antibiotics can cause gut upset for sensitive patients (just as it can for us). Therefore, we often will give the dog 24 hours off antibiotics to see if we can get them settled. If they do, then we'd restart her at a half dose for a dose then return to the prescribed dose. If they remai settled, we are happy. If we see a relapse, then we'd want to change to an antibiotic may be tolerated better.

Otherwise, we can take some steps to soothe her gut upset directly. To do so, we can pre-treat with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any other medications you didn’t mention. Afterwards, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC canine probiotics can also be added to this to soothe the gut and firm the stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. And again if she remains unsettled, then an alternative antibiotic would be an option for Maddie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )