Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been sick for almost 3 weeks now with a fever of

Customer Question

My dog has been sick for almost 3 weeks now with a fever of 103.5-104. She's very lethargic and doesn't want to eat. She's thrown up twice, and gagged a bit with nothing coming out. She only has a bowel movement every two or three days, even when she does eat, and sometimes she seems to strain without being able to go. Today she did have a bowel movement, and I noticed a lot of my hair in it. I know she sometimes gets the hair catcher out of my shower drain and likes to chew it. Is it possible that a hairball is causing all of these problems? We've been to the vet three times, her blood work is basically normal, and three different antibiotics have done nothing to help her. The vet looked at her Xrays and said he didn't think there was a blockage, but he did point to a small dark mass in her intestines and said that it was "probably" soft stool she was about to pass. However, she didn't poop for two more days. Is it possible that what he thought was stool was actually a hairball?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: shes a two and a half year old boxer pitbull mix. She's lost about 7 pounds since getting sick.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is anyone there? My "estimated wait time" has been 8 minutes for almost 2 hours.
Expert:  Ronald Reupert replied 1 month ago.

Hi...My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed vet.Sorry this took so long. With a fever like that she has to have a serious infection. A hairball would not cause a fever. Three antibiotics without a response would make suspicious of a fungal infection. What part of the country do you live in.? What antibotics have been tried. Did they do a blood cell count (CBC) as well as chemical tests?

Please write back

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your response. I live in Knoxville Tennessee. She's had amoxicillin, metronidazole, and some type of antibiotic injection. I believe they did a blood cell count and said everything was normal, but I'm not positive. I know the vet mentioned that some chemical levels associated with her pancreas and thyroid were very slightly above average, but he seemed to think the thyroid was just raised because she was feeling ill in general, and said he didn't think the pancreas levels were high enough to suggest that it was causing the issue. The last thing he suggested was that it might be colitis, but the metronidazole hasn't done anything. My other dog sleeps in bed with her every night and is perfectly healthy, if that helps at all.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He also mentioned something about protean levels being slightly raised