Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My American Bully puppy all of a sudden is scrunching her

Customer Question

My American Bully puppy all of a sudden is scrunching her ears together. Much like a human would raise their eyebrows. Her eyes are wide open. It's just stuck like that. She isn't acting funny except when she drinks & eats. She coughs a little & once she was foaming at the mouth but it was only a few seconds then was fine. Why?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Saesha, you could be describing a "sardonic grin" that we see with tetanus. Clinical signs of tetanus include a stiff gait, prolapse of the third eyelid, and risus sardonicus (i.e., sardonic grin). Are you seeing those other symptoms? Can you upload a photo(s) of Roxi's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Is there a history of a wound on Roxi?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We took her to the vet & they have no idea whats wrong with her. She acts as if she is in pain. Her tail is stiff. One paw is curved outward when walking. She has fallen down on her face when she was walking. I've attached the blood work & a pic.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. I've been on planes all day yesterday and today. How long has the wound on her right front leg been present? Tetanus becomes a more important diagnosis when her face looks like that and there's history of a recent wound.

Hi Saesha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxi. How is everything going?