Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog's urine looks like egg yolk. It is bright yellow,

Customer Question

My dog's urine looks like egg yolk. It is bright yellow, thick and opaque. I can send a photo if that helps.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: My dog's urine looks like egg yolk. It is bright yellow, thick and opaque. I can send a photo if that helps.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No pain. He is old and in generally poor health
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hershey and he is probably 13 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hershey?
Customer: He has been quite ill for a while. I'm surprised he has hung on this long
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Please attach the photo.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

What other symptoms of illness have you seen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lots of general issues. But primarily, what would make his urine look like an egg yoke?

There are quite a few things that can cause this from liver issues, to urinary crystals to just having concentrated urine. Can you attach the picture so that I may see what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here you go

If this is what his urine looks like, the first thing I would recommend would be a urinalysis to check for urinary crystals and for white blood cells. Both of these can cause clear urine to turn opaque. If crystals are found, your vet may recommend x-rays too. At 13, it may also be wise to check a full panel of blood work. Depending on what they find with the urine, your vet may recommend a diet change, course of antibiotics, etc.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in on Hershey. Are there any other questions you had regarding the urine?