Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog pierced with a tooth a Raid ant bait with .01%

Customer Question

My dog pierced with a tooth a Raid ant bait with .01% arvemectin some time while I was at work today. He is a 21 pound Cairn terrier. He is seemingly fine now, and it has been a while couple of months since we placed these traps. What are the signs I should look for if he is getting sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog but happy to reassure you that he's likely to be just fine. The good news is that there is very little insecticide in these baits so that toxicity issues are rarely a concern....even if he ate the whole thing. You may see some mild vomiting, but the biggest risk would be a foreign body if the plastic was ingested. But it doesn't sound as if that's something we need to worry about.

I wouldn't expect any other symptoms to develop other than vomiting which he should already have done by now especially if he the encounter with the trap occurred some hours ago.

I hope this helps to reassure you. Deb

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so very much for easing my concern. So very appreciative.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

You're more than welcome. I'm always happy to be the bearer of good news in situations such as this:)

Kind regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb