Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

She is a 13 month Chesapeake bay retriever and for the past

Customer Question

She is a 13 month Chesapeake bay retriever and for the past 6 months, she has had a bald spot on the base of her tail she was treated for staph and it was cured, but the bald spot remains. The skin is not irritated, but the hair does not grow back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cadey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cadey?
Customer: I use her actively in the field, but she is a family dog when not working with me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This area is a typical spot for a flea allergy and if Cadey is still chewing at this area, the hair will not grow back due to this. If Cadey is not chewing at this area, there may have been hair follicles that were seriously damaged and some may not come back. The only way to know for sure is to have your vet biopsy this area but I would wait a bit longer for the hair to return. Even 6 months is not a lot of time and the hair may still grow back since the irritation form this may have been extensive and the area is still healing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****