Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog recently started rubbing his nose on the carpet

Customer Question

My dog recently started rubbing his nose on the carpet around his food and then after he does it for awhile sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesn't. He is on a special diet and usually eats it right away except when he does that. there is medicine in his food also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake, Yorkie, 11 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: He got diagnosed with early stages of Renal disease in the beginning of June. He goes to a multi disciplined Vet and he is on a special diet that I make in a crock pot for eight hours once a week. He always loves the meal usually.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I ma so sorry that your sweet little Jake is having so many problems. This odd behavior may be due to the disease or it may be due to possible dementia...it is hard to know. This disease, as it progresses, does cause lack of appetite and this behavior may be part of that. The only thing you can do for your little guy is , if he does not eat, give him Nutrical, a dose every 4 hrs until his next meal to be sure that he gets the nutrients that he needs. This can be purchased at the pet store. I would recommend that you have your vet rerun his kidney enzymes to see if the disease has progressed.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does and I am actually taking him to the Vet on Wednesday because he has some other issues. It is so hard to believe that in five months he is deteriorating so fast. Thanks I will take him in Tomorrow.

Good for you...this disease can change in an instant...I really hope that I am wrong and sweet Jake is only doing odd behavior because of mild dementia.