Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Not quite sure, 4 days ago she was vomiting and since then

Customer Question

Not quite sure, 4 days ago she was vomiting and since then has not eaten/drank much if anything. She has also been a lot more lethargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No really, it is very out of character for her...she a 3 year old lab/ great Pyrenees mix and is usually very active almost too active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Because of the age of your sweet girl, there is a good chance that she is suffering from a digestive disturbance secondary to something she may have ingested or even stress. If this is the problem, the treatment is as follows:

Fast your girl for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean your gal back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your gal to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah that makes sense. I was thinking about feeding her boiled chicken tonight. She hasn't vomited since Saturday so that is encouraging

That is encouraging but since she has not wanted to eat, she is still feeling bad. The pepcid may help with the feeling of nausea even though there is no vomiting. It would not hurt....

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta