Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What would cause blood in her stool she is 9 years old

Customer Question

What would cause blood in her stool she is 9 years old always healthy just had a checkup in sept. all was well she is an American Cocker
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bailey. How often is she having the blood in her stool? Is it mixed throughout the stool or just on the outside? Is the stool very loose or very hard? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is eating and drinking normal stool is kind of loose and I think just on the out side
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to call do you have any answer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had a feeling this was a ripe off thanks for nothing Doctor
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry for the "prompt" to have a phone conversation. that is the system and not me. I'm not set up for it. That is great that she's eating and drinking well. I'll be honest and say that if her stools are loose, then more than likely she's not constipated. They can posture / strain as they feel they have to go when in reality there isn't a lot to get out.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, trying to type as fast as I can.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

With the blood that is there, it could be due to a bacterial overgrowth that is causing the colon to have some bleeding. This can be due to eating something that is new to the diet such as a food, table scrap, treat, etc... HAs she been eating anything new?