Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is having the same problems (loss of her balance,

Customer Question

My dog is having the same problems (loss of her balance, head kept turned toward one side). She uses her front legs to support her head when she is laying down (she doesn't rest her head like normally....it is in a vertical position with nose facing downward). Her blood work is normal. I am waiting on test results. They took some cells from her head to get looked at. Part of the top of her head underneath the skin there is some sort of build up (not sure how to really describe it or what to call it).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ataxia ("drunken sailor") and head tilt are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of vestibular (balance) disorders. We need to clarify if a peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear(s)), central (involving the cerebellum and/or brain stem), or idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disorder is present and that will involve a thorough physical and neurologic exam. It isn't clear to me why cells were obtained or what "some sort of build up" implies. Please return to our conversation with additional information, questions or concerns.