PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My pug swallowed some of his chew toy (rope) and now he is

Customer Question

my pug swallowed some of his chew toy (rope) and now he is throwing up. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Francis and he is 9 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Francis?
Customer: No, he has never had any serious illnesses
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my pug swallowed some of his chew toy (rope) and now he is throwing up. Is this normal? I really would like an answer soon considering my pup seems really uncomfortable and isn't able to sleep
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I apologize for the delay, JA Customer. Overnights tend to be staffed more lightly than are daytime hours.

The vomiting is not normal and can signify that there is a serious problem, such as a gastric blockage. When was part of the toy ingested?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it was during the late afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He started to throw up around 8:30ish. He has only thrown up 4 times. The first two times were mostly food and the last two times was liquidy with no food found in his vomit.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber to move any toy particles through. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet today or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. Your vet may need to provide injectable medication, consider doing a barium series to ensure that no blockage has occurred, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Francis doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy