Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My brother gave his dog a dose of ace because of her nervous

Customer Question

Hello.My brother gave his dog a dose of ace because of her nervous licking. She has become quite drowsy yet he is concerned that there may be an allergic reaction due to some swelling in the about. Is Benadryl contraindicated because of the Acepromazine?Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear!

If he has given Acepromazine, then you need to let it run its course (usually 12 hours) before you can give Benadryl. Giving both together can increase sedation, lead to reduction in heart and breathing rates and sometimes cause collapse. So, they should not be used at the same time. Instead, if she has an area of inflammation that he thinks is allergic in nature (though it could swell due to her licking/irritating it), then he can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to the region and block her access to the area using an e-collar to see if that settles it. Otherwise, once she is 12 hours post Acepromazine, he can use Benadryl for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Mindy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Xena. How is everything going?

Dr. B.