Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She was outside, fenced yard, a normally calm dog of 7 years

Customer Question

She was outside, fenced yard, a normally calm dog of 7 years is now panting and her heart is racing. Very unlike her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She was outside and was fine. She likes to. Dig for gophers and last I saw she was either getting ready to poop or on the smell of gopher underground. Dark. So. We can't see if. She was. Digging. She is now panting and her. Heart rate fast
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: GRacie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about GRacie?
Customer: normally a very mild mannered dog
She came in all freaked, panting and heart racing. Don't know what going on with her
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has calmed down, no longer panting but heart rate still fast. Possibly a mountain lion or coyote freaked her? She was barking intermittently. Or if she ate something?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Gracie, please?

You're correct to suspect that she has detected a wild animal in her territory or perhaps she was envenomated by a flying insect, spider, or snake.