Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 10 week old puppy that seems to have an extra toe

Customer Question

hello good evening. I have a 10 week old puppy that seems to have an extra toe and nail on each back leg. I actually have its brother too and this puppy does NOT have the same toe/nail. It is located about 3 -4 inches up the foot/leg away from the other toes. Can you tell me if this is normal please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: what? its a toe and toe nail. he has EXTRA toe and nail
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: he is Partridge Hound and White Pyreneese
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I believe that you're seeing an extra dewclaw. This is relatively common in Pyrenees. It's actually considered a breed fault when there's an absence of double dewclaws on each rear leg. Because he's a mix, extra dewclaws can be removed if they're likely to become traumatized by getting snagged. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?