Cambria Hurlimann
Cambria Hurlimann,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Skagit Animal Clinic
96742005

My 10 month old dog has 6 or 7 small bumps around the top of

Customer Question

hello, my 10 month old dog has 6 or 7 small bumps around the top of her tail. she is constantly biting at them. I push all the fur outta the way and can see something black surrounded by redness half the size of a dime . the areas she can reach are larger, dimesize
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cambria Hurlimann replied 7 months ago.

Good Evening,

Are you able to submit a photo of these areas? What area of the country do you live in? Flea infestations are a very common problem in the Pacific Northwest and are commonly at the base of the tail. Or do you live in tick areas? Have you been out in the outdoors? Are the black areas moving at all, like live critters? How long has this been going on? are there more bumps forming, or have they stayed the same?

Let me get a little more info so that I can help you better.

Thank you,

Dr. Cami

Thank you

I thought of a few more things concerning your question. Are the bumps on the top of the tail close to where it connects to the body, toward the middle of the tail, or closer to the tip of the tail?

The redness you are describing sounds like a type of allergic reaction which can be from all sorts of things, insects, or environmental things such as grasses or plants, or even contact with something else Ella is allergic to. I am having a hard time determining what the black area you are describing is. What size is the black area? Is it part of the skin?

I will eagerly await your response.

Thank you,

Dr. Cami

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr Cami, ill try to get a photo .I live in Minnesota, ticks are common. Ella is outdoors 20% of the time and loves to rub against foliage and picks up burrs now and then. I'm 55 and cant see anything moving , just feels like something under the skin.Im not sure if more bumps are forming as this is the first good look since she started biting herself. the bumps are on top an inch from the base of the tail. kind of fanned . one on the back of a rear leg

Thank you so much for trying to get me a photo, they are blurry, so I really can't see detail, but thank you very much for attempting it. As long as she is feeling ok otherwise, you can try giving her a bath in an oatmeal based gentle dog shampoo (if you are unable to bath her entire body, you can try to just give her a partial bath and concentrate on her tail area). Bathing will help remove any allergen, and oatmeal based shampoos/conditioners can decrease a little of the itchiness. Put an elizabethan collar (cone) on her when you are not with her so she can't aggravate the area, and try to eliminate alot of outdoor time until we can tell if it is getting better or not. Make sure you have her on a current veterinary approved flea/tick preventative.

If more bumps form, or the ones she has get more reddened, or spread, or just don't go away within a day or so, or if the reddened areas start oozing at all, then have her examined at your vet. It is not uncommon to have to give a prescription medication that will take away the itchiness, and depending on what your vet thinks, sometimes an anti-biotic if there is suspicion of a skin infection.

Good luck to you and Ella,

Dr. Cami

Awe, I just noticed the pic of Ella, I had only clicked on the pic of the close up of the skin. She is a cutie! Nice to see the pets that we are talking about. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank You very much Dr,

You are very welcome. Thanks again for the pic of your girl, I really enjoyed seeing her. Good evening.

I am curious to learn how Ella is doing, please give me an update if/when it is convenient for you.

Also, wold you please take a moment to rate my consult, I only receive credit for my advice once a positive rating of 3 stars is received.

Best Regards,

Dr. Cami

Expert:  Cambria Hurlimann replied 6 months ago.
Hi Gregg,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?

Cambria Hurlimann