Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I found a small raised mole on my dog's mouth area (photos

Customer Question

Hi Dr B, I found a small raised mole on my dog's mouth area (photos attached). It may be difficult to see it accurately in these photos. Is this something to be concerned about? Or is it a skin tag or benign looking to you?He tends to lay in the sun for 5-7 mins a day. Just want to be precautious. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. It appears that you originally hoping to speak with Dr. B but she must not be online right now. If you like, I can help to answer your question, or if you prefer to work with Dr. B I can leave it for her when Dr. B is next online. Just let me know!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jess thank you! I will await Dr B
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Appreciate it!!
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Sure thing, I will open your question back up so she can answer it when she gets back!

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

Those photos are lovely and that last one let me zoom in on that suspect mole.

Now I am glad that you are being vigilant since we always need to be careful with lumps or moles in these areas (since there isn't much skin to spare if we did need it removed). In regards ***** ***** one, I agree that it looks like a skin tag in its appearance but Vudu's pigmentation makes this a bit tricky. He naturally could have pigmented skin tags (where we'd not expect that in a lighter complexioned dog) but melanomas can appear this way as well. Therefore, while it doesn't look sinister, I would want you to keep a close eye on it. If it even looks like it wants to grow, then we'd want it checked. His vet can aspirate the contents and determine if the cells are normal or if this is thinking about being cancerous. If the latter was found, by acting while it is small, we'd be able to just remove it for him without much bother (as opposed to letting it get too big and then being difficult to remove). And of course, if Vudu needs to go under anesthesia for anything else, we could always just have this removed to take away any bother.

So, overall it looks like a skin tag but with how dark it is, there is always that extra concern. So, we'd want to keep a close eye and any changes would warrant a check +/- removal to ensure no future issues with it for your lad.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks so much for the advice Dr. B. I will keep a close eye on it. Here are a few more photos for your review.Is it OK that he continues to sunbathe each day for 5 mins a day? He tends to do it midday every day as thats the only time he really gets sun in as he has monitored walks 3-4 times a day but hardly gets any sun during the morning and evening walks. I wasn't sure if its also good to get vitamin D.Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

It does look very skin tag like, but do keep an eye. If I thought it looked clearly sinister, I'd say so I promise. :)

Otherwise, 5 minutes of sunbathing is fine, its usually >15 minutes when they say we should be thinking about sunscreen. So, a bit of sun and Vitamin D is good for our dogs.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that's a sigh of relief but I will continue to my monitor it. Thanks so much for the advice!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dr BI had another question about him flank suckling his hip. It's a habit he's done since a puppy and it seems to calm him or smooth him. I'm trying to get him to stop. There also seems to be a lypoma where it he's been suckling (which we already had aspirated once before). But it seems to have grown a bit. Could the suckling and lypoma be connected? I'm hoping it's not an internal infection from the biting.Do I need to help to pay again for this question to be answered? Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe flank suckling is common in Dobies?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Payment is only sent to the vet assisting when feedback is left, so I would be grateful if you could do so. Otherwise, new topics should be opened as new questions (as per website policy) but I will briefly ust note that its not an uncommon behavior in the breed and if they are soothed by it then it is difficult to rationalize deterring it (since we would be better to remove the stressor then the coping mechanism). The flank sucking won't have affected the lipoma growth itself but if he has broken the skin then secondary infection could be caused by this. So, if its getting larger, sore and warm then we'd want it checked. Otherwise, you can use a t-shirt to block his access to that lump as you monitor it.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dr. B, sorry about my delay in getting to you. Ok thank you! May I pay for the next round when I have a new question or do I need to pay again now?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

No worries,

It would be ideal to leave feedback (as that is the only way the site credits vets) for this question and if you do have a new question just open it as a new one.

Cheers ***** *****

Dr. B.